- An international syndicate from three countries dealing with drugs and firearms was busted following the arrest
An international syndicate from three countries dealing with drugs and firearms was busted following the arrest of 17 individuals including five foreigners.
The arrest came following raids from a few locations in Penang and Johor with police seizing RM2.8mil worth of drugs last Thursday and Friday.
Bukit Aman narcotics investigations department director Datuk Seri Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff said that following tip offs and surveillance, his department together with the Special Tactical Intelligence Narcotics Group (Sting) started the operations at 10.30pm on Thursday followed by 3.30am on Friday.
“Four locations in Penang, a house in Teluk Air Tawar on the mainland and the other homes on the island such as Air Itam, Paya Terubong and Batu Uban were raided and ten individuals including a Vietnamese woman were picked up,” he told reporters at a press conference at the state police headquarters in Jalan Penang here today.
He added that the raid in Penang brought them to another four locations in Johor; two in Johor Bahru and another two in Nusajaya and Simpang Renggam respectively.
Seven men including three Singaporeans were arrested in the raid.
Mohd Mokhtar added that the arrest of the 17 individuals following the crippling of the syndicate also saw the seizure of six pistols and some 331 rounds of ammunition.
Among drugs seized were 9.2 kgs of heroin, heroin base
(8.5kg), syabu (6.4kg), yaba pills (120 grammes), ketamine (105 grams), Marianas (17 gram) dan 33,200 Eramin 5 And 4,000 ecstasy pills.
“We also seized cash totalling RM42,000 in various currencies besides vehicles and jewellery estimated to cost RM600,000.”
He revealed that initial investigations found that the syndicate which had been active for the past few months had managed to traffic in drugs and firearms into the country to be sold locally.
“The operation was also a joint one with the Police Narcotics Suppression Bureau of Thailand.”
“All of the suspects were unemployed and aged between 27 and 64 and have been remanded until Aug 6 to assist in police investigations.”